View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
How often do you clean your Henry 22 

Post How often do you clean your Henry 22
I have a new Carbine and just put a couple of full tubes through it and plan to clean it and get familar with the procedure of breaking down the gun. After that how often do most of you clean the barrel ?

Henry Big Boys .44 Magnum, .357 Magnum/.38 Special, Henry .22 Carbine with large loop, Ruger LC380, Ruger KSR40C, Ruger Target MK III, Ruger 10/22 Carbine, AR15 with dedicated .22LR upper and a bunch of Mosin Nagants.

Mon May 13, 2013 5:36 am

Post Re: How often do you clean your Henry 22
i just clean the bore (bore-snake mostly, 3-passes) after each shooting (Hoppe's), wipe the gun down with Rem-Oil, wipe down the inner mag tube, clean bolt face and use a modified tooth brush to clean the breech area. i haven't taken it down any farther than that--have two Henry's (H001 & H001L, Carbine) and my round count is 700+ for each. i'll take it apart when i reach 2000+.

i've been shooting CCI Shorts recently, i noticed that i needed to use a bronze brush to get rid of the residue, because when i returned to long-rifle ammo, the LR did not eject, i suspect the tolerances are tight...just my experience... :)

Wed May 15, 2013 12:59 am

Cleaning frequency depends on how much you use the firearm. Henry does not recommend disassembly, not needed. My Brother-in-law field stripped his Henry after several hundred rds, nothing to clean. After every use, I run a boresnake with some CLP on it through the bore 3 or four passes. Then dry patches until clean, then a patch lightly oiled through the bore. Then use some CPL and clean the receiver, etc. Lever actions, bolt actions, single shots, shotguns, don't need to be field stripped. Semi-autos are a different story. Firearms with a blow back operation get dirty real fast.

Wed May 15, 2013 8:57 am

I've got some CLP, but what type (or brand) of boresnake would you all recommend?

H001 22 Rifle Owner

Wed May 15, 2013 5:55 pm

I have no idea what brand mine is. I know I had to really hunt to find one for a .22. I think I got it at Gander Mtn.

Wed May 15, 2013 8:06 pm

OK, thanks. I'll start asking around in my travels.

May have to order one online.

Bill

H001 22 Rifle Owner

Wed May 15, 2013 8:42 pm

I run a boresnake through after shooting any of my guns. If I have a heavy shooting session, then I will tear them down for a detailed cleaning.

Eaglescout, BCCI Life member, NRA life member

Thu May 16, 2013 6:44 am

I picked up a Hobb's 22 Bore Snake and a Winchester Bore Light the other day at Wal-Mart. Checked 3 different places and Wal-Mart had the best deals.

Bill

H001 22 Rifle Owner

Wed May 22, 2013 12:49 pm

I clean my Henry each time after shooting it. But then again I clean all of my guns each time they are shot. I have several thousand rounds through my Henry. I have never dissembled it as per Henry's instructions. Seems odd though. Each of my other guns gets completely stripped for each cleaning. When I first bought the Henry the action was gritty. Sent it back to Henry, they fixed it and no problems since. I do clean the mag tube also. I have read where some people don't. I've read "nothing dirty happens there, so no need to clean." I KNOW my mag. tube gets dirty, so it gets cleaned.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:06 pm

I clean the feed tube at the end of the outdoor range season when I put it away.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:43 pm

30wcf wrote:
i just clean the bore (bore-snake mostly, 3-passes) after each shooting (Hoppe's), wipe the gun down with Rem-Oil, wipe down the inner mag tube, clean bolt face and use a modified tooth brush to clean the breech area. i haven't taken it down any farther than that--have two Henry's (H001 & H001L, Carbine) and my round count is 700+ for each. i'll take it apart when i reach 2000+.

i've been shooting CCI Shorts recently, i noticed that i needed to use a bronze brush to get rid of the residue, because when i returned to long-rifle ammo, the LR did not eject, i suspect the tolerances are tight...just my experience... :)

Love that Jeep!!!!

Henry Golden Boy 22 mag, Henry 30-30 lever action

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:54 am

You're sposed to clean 'em? :)

Actually, I spray my bore with Ballistol, and run my bore snake through a couple of times, then wipe the outside with a soft cloth.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:45 pm

ditto1958 wrote:
You're sposed to clean 'em? :)

Actually, I spray my bore with Ballistol, and run my bore snake through a couple of times, then wipe the outside with a soft cloth.

This is what I do, I've found the microfibre cloths work very well for the outside.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:25 am

30wcf wrote:

Do you put cleaner or oil on you bore snake. I have seen it on other sites both ways.
I clean my Henry's after every time I fire them.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:03 am

mcgee10 wrote:
30wcf wrote:

Do you put cleaner or oil on you bore snake. I have seen it on other sites both ways.
I clean my Henry's after every time I fire them.

When I'm shooting shorts I'll also shoot a few LR every 50 rounds or so to keep the chamber clean. I also run a bore snake down the barrel about every hundred rounds with a little froglube on it.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next