View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
How to remove rear sight? 

Post How to remove rear sight?
How does one remove the rear sight on a Frontier model H001T? I got a Skinner peep sight that I'd like to put in its place.

Thanks,
Dennis

Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:30 pm

Post Re: How to remove rear sight?
I believe the "correct" way is to bump it out from left to right using a brass punch and hammer. I don't have a brass punch so used a piece of 3/8 aluminum solid bar and it worked fine. Make sure if your sight has a set screw that you loosen that first! It might take considerable force.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:46 pm

eaglesnest wrote:
I believe the "correct" way is to bump it out from left to right using a brass punch and hammer. I don't have a brass punch so used a piece of 3/8 aluminum solid bar and it worked fine. Make sure if your sight has a set screw that you loosen that first! It might take considerable force.

I'm somewhat mechanically challenged and I wish there was a better way than taking a hammer to the old girl! If there was a gunsmith in my area I think I'd just go there, but since there isn't I may just have to do it your way...

Thanks for the reply!

Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:19 pm

Its not usually too bad, if you don't own a gun vise (I don't) then just lay the gun down on a table with something soft backing it up, maybe get someone to steady the gun and just give it a tap, using a brass punch, depending on how tight the fit was that may be all it needs, or you will have to hit the punch a little harder. The only thing you risk doing is slipping off and dinging up or scratching the bluing. :goodluck:

Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm

Mine came out real easy, just loosen the slotted head setscrew and use a piece of wood or solid plastic as a punch and tap it out with a hammer. (A brass drift is ideal if you have one, but not really necessary) Make sure to remove the elevator first so it won't scratch the blueing on the barrel on the way out. Its not tight in the dovetail at all, the setscrew is what holds it in place. I didn't even put mine in a gun vise, just sorta had it leaning on my belly at the edge of the bench when I tapped it. You could just lay it on its side as well, you won't have to tap it hard enough to damage anything.

My H001T was probably the easiest rear sight I've ever removed.

:goodluck:

Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:04 pm
Profile WWW

Dennis wrote:
How does one remove the rear sight on a Frontier model H001T? I got a Skinner peep sight that I'd like to put in its place.

Thanks,
Dennis

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... ost3434358
...from Kenbo1...over on the other forum(he's a Henry Factory Gunsmith...if you don't know)...his directions to accomplish your goal...follow them and maybe add a little penetrant/lubricat around the site and you should be good togo...........
madjack 8-)

Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:11 pm

Thank you all for the encouragement and advice. I, even I, accomplished the aforementioned task without breaking my gun, gashing any body parts, or hurting any small children or pets. :dance: :party: :thumbsup:

That factory sight was on there pretty tight but between a little bit of penetrating oil, a little sharper whack with the hammer, and a prayer it finally came loose. I got that Skinner sight mounted and really like it. I have a Skinner sight on a bolt action rifle and it has been wonderful so I knew I would like it here as well.

I was going to post a picture from Skinner's web site but figured I'd just a well post a link to the web site instead:

http://www.skinnersights.com/henry_rifles_18.html

If I have my history correct a guy named Skinner has a PhD in math, I believe, but was really into lever guns, sights and such. The business is now owned buy a longtime friend of his, Andy Larsson (correct spelling), who has continued the quality of Dr. Skinner and has even expanded the line to our benefit. Highly recommended!

Take care and thanks again!

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:52 pm

Thanks for the link Dennis!!! I like those sights! I think my wallet is about to get lighter again!

Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:08 am

Yeah, Skinner sights are great, I have had a receiver mounted one on my 45/70 for a year, what a huge difference they made. They have really expanded their line since Parson took over, and was glad to see something they setup for the Henry too. That brass peep would look great on my Frontier, and most definitely a Golden Boy too! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]