View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
.45 Colt cases / Hornady 452. -225 Gr FTX Trim Length ? 

Post .45 Colt cases / Hornady 452. -225 Gr FTX Trim Length ?
:elmersmiley:

Hi All

I have the Henry Big Boy in .45 Colt . H006C
I like a .225 gr jacketed bullet ...Hornady now has the .225 Gr FTX for leaver rifles .
They have a reloading sheet with their bullets that tells you to train the .45 colt case to a over all length of 1.215/ 1.230 !!!! The suggested overall case for all other bullets is 1.280 .

I tried one case ( without a primer and powder ) that was 1.280 and tried to seat the Hornady 225 grain FTX . To just meet the Max over all loaded length The bullet had to be seated so far into the case that I wouldn't want to try it .

So I took 15 older cases I had and dimed about 0.050 off each one bringing it down to 1.230 Even at that the crimp almost misses the crimpring band on the bullet . With seeing this The cases would have to be trimmed to what Hornady says 1.215 length .

Those bullets fed / fired quite well with 10. 5 grains of AA # 5 and a medium crimp .

What I don't know id what will happen if I try and load use those cases with say a 250 / 255 grain bullet and whatever powder load is called for that bullet ????

I am going to try and just keep these cases that I have trimmed separate for the .225 Hornady FTX . ( just a added pain )

Anyone been into this ??

Jerry 944

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:28 am

Post Re: .45 Colt cases / Hornady 452. -225 Gr FTX Trim Length ?
I reload for my Ruger BH 45 Colt, but have not tried those rubber pointy bullets from Hornady yet. From all that I have read/heard, the only way to use them is to trim the cases to an otherwise very short length (the factory loaded stuff is also very short brass). I would NOT try to use those short-trimmed brass with a "normal" bullet/45Colt load - the overly short case will raise pressure with a different, and heavier bullet. I would closely follow the Hornady recipes for those rubbery bullets..

Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]