View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Henry AR7 

Post Re: Henry AR7
And I forgot...... Welcome to the site Gamekeeper!! Looking forward to your posts .DT

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:30 pm

Klondike Mike wrote:
Well, here's my first post on the Henry forum. I bought an AR-7 and it is a "Jamomatic" with either of the two magazines it came with and 3 brands of 22 LR ammo. Ever since James Bond shot down a helicopter with an AR-7, I wanted one. One of those childhood desires I should have given up on. I've heard good things about Henry's customer service and I'll get around to calling them one of these days and hopefully they can make it cycle and keep the cheapo plastic front sight from drifting side to side while they're at it. But, hey if it won't shoot more than one shot at a time the sight doesn't move around so much and your ammo will last alot longer in a "survival" situation. Always looking at the bright side (and shooting a 10-22); Mike

Welcome to the forum, Klondike Mike. There's a couple things that can cause jams in the AR7 from what I've read. Are you feeding it Winchester ammo? That seems to be the biggest offender, but magazines have also been known to be a culprit, as well as burrs on the feed ramp/inside the action. Just give Henry a call or email via this with a description of the problem, and they'll have a shipping tag out to you in no time. :thumbsup: Also, I can't help but wonder, since your user name is Klondike Mike, are you in AK or some other frozen area? Could it be related to cold weather making bulk ammo finicky, and gummy lubes? Just some thoughts.

Photobucket Picture Posting Guide

Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:21 pm

Sounds like this rifle just needs to be broken in. Lubricate the bolt area and shoot some high velocity ammo and all should be well.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:10 am

Kenbo1 wrote:
Sounds like this rifle just needs to be broken in. Lubricate the bolt area and shoot some high velocity ammo and all should be well.

Kenbo, it's great to have you over here. :thumbsup: Say, I'm about to get a used AR-7 that someone says was horribly unreliable. Well, I'm up to a challenge. :mrgreen: Do you think mirror polishing all the contact surfaces and trimming a coil or two off the recoil springs should help? I understand that you may not be able to recommend trimming the recoil springs, but, do you think that would that possibly help?

Thanks Kenbo!

Photobucket Picture Posting Guide

Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:49 am

Hey Kenbo!!!!! Thanks for stopping in! Image Image Image Hope we will see you often!

Best....2few

Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:13 am

I don't have an AR-7 yet, but I plan on getting one.

I do however have a CZ-452 and love it, but the AR-7 is a different class of rifle and the two cannot realistically be compared - even with regards to the ammo used in each one. It (the AR-7) is not supposed to be competition accurate. It's meant to be used to take small game. In that respect, it's supposed to be reliable and durable, and from all reports I've seen, this is not the case. The plastic front sight isn't stable, and folks appear to have problems finding the appropriate ammo for the gun.

The solution for the ammo is a simple one - shoot 250-300 rounds of CCI minimags through the gun to break it in, and it *should* then be able to reliably cycle the action when shooting standard velocity bulk ammo. There is also a fix posted online that says if you cut two coils off the recoil spring, it will allow you to skip the break-in period, and will cycle standard velocity ammo from the outset. Personally, I would rather break the gun in (it's more fun and doesn't void your warranty - grin).

Regarding the sights - I'm surprised that Henry doesn't make better (more reliable) sights available for their own guns, or at least a list of recommended replacements. I have (and love) a Henry H001T that I chose over the H001 based solely on the fact that the H001T uses a dovetailed front sight. Indeed, I immediately replaced the sights after a lot of my own research (Lyman Globe sight on the front and a Marbles tang sight at the rear), and the rifle is much more accurate as a result, mostly because the sight radius is about 7-8 inches longer than in the original configuration.

The AR-7's weakest aspect appears to be the sights, and in a "survival" rifle, this is entirely unacceptable. Without decent sights, the rifle becomes nothing more than an over-priced noise maker. Changing the sights will most likely be a bit problematic considering you still have to be able to put the barrel and receiver back into the stock, but until I get one, I'm not sure of what restrictions exist in its stock configuration. I've been trying to find one in a local store, and as yet have had no luck.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:17 am

I own an AR-7, Henry Survival Rifle (HSR) and it is pure FUN to shoot! :party:
The only "problem" I have is that the magazines are so small (8 rounds) and the sights suck! :hmmm:
I took my HSR out of the box and ran 100 rounds through her right from the get-go. (50-CCI & 50-Winchester cheep ammo) No Problems!
I have solved the sights problem by attaching a scope that I just remove when I stow the AR-7 away inside it's self.

I'm sorry to read about Klondike Mike's experience, I had read that some older (Non-Henry) magazines had issues....

I'll also agree with Gameskeeper's assessment of the rifle, it's fun and it will do the job it was designed for.

If you haven't gotten one, please do and have fun..... :elmersmiley:

Lateck,

Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:08 am

I like my AR7. It is a fun gun that fits in a back pack. I'll try to post some photos next time I have it out.

Eaglescout, BCCI Life member, NRA life member

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:31 am

Got one 3 months ago . I think it is great for what it is. It is a fun plinker and not a all out range gun. Cant wait till the weather breaks to runs some more rounds through it.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2