View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Best Ammo for Big Boy Golden Boy .44 Magnum 

Post Best Ammo for Big Boy Golden Boy .44 Magnum
I would like to hear from others on the best "brand" ammo for their Big Boy .44 Magnum including .44 specials for target shooting.

Thanks,
Darryl

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:50 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Best Ammo for Big Boy Golden Boy .44 Magnum
By chance, do you reload?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:03 am
Profile WWW

I do not, but would consider it if it is easy enough to learn and worth doing so.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:44 am
Site Admin

Try this article on reloading.
http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_file ... %20101.htm

Reloading gives you options like only loading in 44 Mag. And you can do so with normal reloads or use trail boss powder to load it down to 44 special or less velocities and recoil.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:05 pm
Profile WWW

I understand you can pretty much shoot any 44-special or 44-magnum load that was designed for a 44-magnum revolver (S&W model 629 in my case). I personally won't go into the larger 44-magnum "rifle rounds". The reason I bought the Big Boy 44-mag is so I can shoot the same ammo as in my handgun. I just got my Big Boy 44-mag so I am a complete newbie with the rifle; I will take it up to the mountains later this month to try it out and am looking forward to it. I'll try both 44-magnum and 44-special loads. In the magnum loads, I will personally not exceed 250-grain bullets such as in the Winchester 44 REMINGTON MAG. 250 GR. PLATINUM-TIP-HOLLOW-POINT so I can keep the kick down to something reasonable and a load that also works in bear country in my S&W. I normally shoot 44-special in my handgun so plinking remains fun; the recoil in the handgun with the magnum loads is a bit much (not as fun) and hard on the wrist! Curious how well the BB will absorb the recoil; probably well given its mass and very nice center-of-gravity feel. :D

BTW - the main caution that Henry mentions in their manual is to NOT use the Blazer ammo or any other aluminum case ammo. I never use that type anyway as I am saving my BRASS cases for (someday) using my own reloading equipment. Right now, primers, gun-powder and bullets for reloading are probably even MORE scarce than the manufactured ammo (at least here in California), so I figure I'll wait a bit until the market settles down a bit and supplies return (hopefully) to more normal levels.

Thu May 09, 2013 2:58 pm

I have found that my rifle really likes the Winchester Western 240gr JHPs. shoots very flat and tight groups with that.

As for recoil don't sweat it. I have shot pretty hot 300gr silhouette rounds that we loaded for my Super Blackhawk. Shooting those in the handgun wakes you up. The difference in the Henry is barely noticeable at the shoulder. That big ole heavy octagon barrel can handle most anything you put in it. Plenty strong and in my case recoil is a non issue with the BB. As my bud says, "Just enough to remind you that you are shooting a rifle!"

Remember the 44mag was developed around a pretty hot load with a 255gr Keith bullet for handguns. It's just a pistol round. Now a Henry with a 45/70. I think that one you might feel a bit! :lol:

Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]